Tuesday 9 March 2010

Matt Interviewed In Esquire

MATT SMITH ON BEING DESTINED TO PLAY DR WHO AND WHY THE TIME LORD IS A CRAP LOVER
Matt Smith, the youngest ever actor to assume the role of Doctor Who, talks to Esquire about being destined to play a 903-year-old alien Time Lord and why Dr Who makes a crap lover. On being destined to play Dr Who: “At university I had a big coloured scarf, and people would often say ‘Alright, Dr Who?’ And I thought, I rather liked the notion.” On auditioning for the role of a Time Lord: “It has to be your version. I tried to be creative and artistic, and silly, and crazy, and also the cleverest man in the world, and part of that is there’s a rapidity to the way he speaks. He’s an intergalactic genius, a superhero-ish, mad, fumbling, bumbling, science geek. He’s everything you can pluck from any universe and put into him.” On why Dr Who makes a crap lover: “It’s because he’s to busy. He’s an addict – if he stopped saving the world, he’d be in real trouble.” On his pro-football career ending before it began: “I remember crying because it was all I’d ever invested in. I hadn’t really considered acting.”
Full interview in Esquire's April issue - on sale now